Entries now open
- The Hewitt Jones Award
- Two concerto performances
- Recital at Cheltenham Music Festival
- Cash prize £500
UPDATE: Closing date extended to Sunday 10th December 2017
The deadline for the Gloucestershire Young Musician of the Year 2018 has been extended until midnight on Sunday, December 10th 2017 because it is now being held over two dates – January 7th and 14th 2018 to accommodate entries. This has enabled us to invite more entries for the later date.
For all information and terms & conditions see below.
Click here for entry form.
The 2018 Gloucestershire Young Musician Competition will consist of one class, open to entrants under the age of 22 years on or before 1st March 2018.
Applicants in five categories (piano, strings, woodwind, brass and orchestral percussion) will be invited to give a 12-minute recital before an adjudicator on Sunday 7th or Sunday 14th January 2018 at Gloucestershire Academy of Music, Barbican House, Gloucester GL1 2JF. As a result of this stage a maximum of six finalists (or less, at the adjudicator’s discretion) will be selected to proceed to the final.
The selected finalists will each give a 15-minute recital before an audience and a panel of adjudicators on Tuesday 6 March 2018 at Pittville Pump Room, Cheltenham, GL52 3JE. The following prizes will be awarded:
- The Hewitt Jones Award
- A cheque for £500
- Three performances: i) a concerto performance with Gloucestershire Symphony Orchestra; ii) a concerto performance with Gloucester Youth Orchestra; iii) a recital at Cheltenham Music Festival;
- A cheque for £200 awarded by the Carducci Quartet and a recital at the Carducci Festival at Highnam.
The winner of this prize is selected via audience vote on the evening of the final.
All Other Finalists
(including the winner of the Audience Prize)
- A cheque for £100
Rules of Entry
Please read and understand fully the rules below before submitting your entry.
Entrance to the competition will form a binding contract between yourself and promoters of the Gloucestershire Young Musician competition.
- Entrants should be aged 22 or under by March 1st, 2018
- Applicants should have a family home in Gloucestershire (including if away at college/university), or go to school in Gloucestershire, or receive musical tuition at a recognised musical organisation in Gloucestershire.
- Previous title-holders are not eligible for entry.
- Candidates should be of at least Grade 8 standard (Associated Board or equivalent) on their chosen instrument.
- Entry is limited to the following instruments: piano, all brass, all woodwind, all strings (including guitar) and orchestral percussion.
- Candidates will undertake to provide their own accompaniment for all stages of the competition.
- No expenses can be met by the competition promoters for all stages of the competition, however expenses may be available to the winner for performances associated with the prize.
- All photographic, recording and broadcast rights shall be assigned to the competition promoters.
- Entries must be made using the official entry form and be received by midnight on Sunday 10th December 2017.
- The fee to enter the competition is £25 per entry, payable via BACS transfer once the application has been accepted.
- The winner’s concerto performance with Gloucestershire Symphony Orchestra will take place at Pittville Pump Room on Sunday 4th November 2018, and thus the winning musician will be expected to be available on this date.